Each year on and around November 5th, thousands of people suffer burns from bonfires and fireworks. Though attending a professionally-organised Bonfire Night celebration dramatically reduces the potential for accidents, the COVID-19 pandemic means that most such events have been cancelled and so many people will choose to celebrate with a bonfire and firework display at home.
In this edition of the Jobskin® blog, we share a number of tips to help ensure your at-home Bonfire Night celebration is as safe as it can be.
- Let your immediate neighbours know that you plan to have a bonfire
- Close all of your windows and doors
- Only burn dry material as damp materials produce much more smoke. Don't burn anything that is painted or contains foam as these materials may produce toxic smoke
- Situate the bonfire well away from any sheds, trees or fences. It should also be located as far as possible from your property and there should be no cables such as telephone wires immediately above
- Build the bonfire carefully and as small as possible. Surround it with a ring of stones
- Keep a hosepipe or bucket of water close by
- NEVER use flammable liquids like paraffin or petrol to ignite the bonfire
- Once the bonfire is lit, it should never be left unattended. Children and pets must be kept well back
- Add material sparingly to ensure that the fire does not get out of control
- Once the bonfire has died down, pour or spray water onto the embers to prevent spontaneous re-ignition
- Only buy fireworks marked with the CE symbol
- Keep the fireworks in a closed box
- Only use fireworks one at a time
- Carefully read and follow instructions printed on the firework. Use a torch if necessary
- Use the safety taper included in the box to light the firework
- Keep naked flames and cigarettes well away from unlit fireworks
- NEVER return to a firework after it has been lit
- Make sure aerial fireworks are directed away from spectators and are free from any obstructions
Burns can have serious, sometimes life-threatening consequences and leave long-lasting scars. There are many ways to manage these consequences, one of which is by wearing Premium™ made-to-measure pressure garments designed and developed by Jobskin®. These high-quality garments, made using soft, short-stretch Lycra®, are custom-made to provide the perfect anatomical fit, delivering precise, medically-effective therapeutic pressure for scar management.
Please browse the Jobskin® website to find out all the details about our comprehensive Premium™ range of made-to-measure pressure garments and get in touch with our team to discuss modification options and for further advice and support.