When most people think about arthritis, they commonly associate it with older people. Though the condition does occur more frequently as people get older, it also affects children.
The term 'arthritis' does not refer to a single condition: in fact there are well over 100 different types of arthritis. One of these is Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (JIA), which affects young people under the age of 16. In this edition of the Jobskin® blog, we share some facts about the condition.
- JIA is an autoimmune disease. This means that it causes parts of the body (especially the joints) to become inflamed, responding to a non-existent threat to the body's delicate immune system
- The term 'idiopathic' refers to a condition which arises spontaneously and/or for which the cause is unknown
- JIA is rarely found in two or more members of a single family though research suggests that genetic factors do appear to be involved in producing JIA. A combination of genetic predisposition and triggers from the environment (such as previous exposures of the immune system to various infections) is thought to cause JIA
- The condition can affect either gender though studies show that it is slightly more prevalent among female children
- There are several types of JIA but common symptoms include recurrent fevers that have no immediately-discernible cause, limping motions when the patient is walking and stiff and/or swollen joints that often cause pain and feel warm to the touch. People with JIA often have low energy levels, making them feel tired and lethargic
Though there is no cure for JIA, there are many ways to alleviate the symptoms. One way is via the wearing of gaiters, which are garments that have been specifically designed to assist relative movement while offering robust support to the affected limbs. At Jobskin®, we supply a comprehensive collection of these crucial garments in both made-to-measure and ready-to-wear formats.
Particularly when working with children and young people, compliance can be an issue. That's why Jobskin® offer a range of stylish customisation options, allowing the young person to feel more in control of their condition. These options are provided absolutely free of charge with compliments of Jobskin®.
Discover more details about Jobskin® gaiters and customisation options on our website. If you need more information or advice, do not hesitate to get in touch with our dedicated customer service team.